Saturday, September 8, 2012

Did a tornado hit? Thoughts on parenting:)

Wow, what a whirlwind parenting can be.  One moment you're holding this helpless little being in your arms realizing that YOU are their helper.  You get the awesome responsibility, privilege, and terrifying honor to first of all carry them through those first helpless weeks, and then they start in with the craziness of lifting their head all on their own and rolling over.  And after that, there's just no stopping them.  Skip through time a bit and they're crawling and drooling over anything that they can get their chubby little fists on and guardian angels are begging for some downtime after continually saving them from choking to death.  Then the first steps of shock and awe occur, and you know as a parent you couldn't possibly be prouder of them, even when they become an astronaut or the president or a mother themselves.  But the joy just keeps on comin'....suddenly those first words are developing into sentences and those sentences into conversations and questions that make you laugh and make you cry and make you want to dance and make you want to pull your hair out, all in the same day, even the same hour.  
Preschool arrives, and you are grateful, so grateful, to have another hand that will hold your baby's hand from time to time because, well, it's been a tiring few years even if it has been the best of your life.  And there are twin sisters that are making THEIR guardian angels think about going on strike, so the workload tripled instead of the usual doubling that occurs first, and you are grateful for preschool a few hours a week. 
Adorable 1&2 are now in preschool, we've been extraordinarily blessed to have Linda (Munga to her students), Ella's preschool teacher from last year, agree to teach the 'next generation' of her other granddaughter and our girls.  Since Jo and Viv are only 2.5 and her granddaughter only just turned three, we are having preschool 2x/wk. in the mornings.  I must say, they do love it already, everyday asking, 'can we go to preschool today?'  It makes my heart happy to see them making a new friend and of course deepening their friendship with one another.  That friendship between sisters is such an amazing, amazing development to witness.  Perhaps being an only child myself makes it more so compared to those who have been blessed with siblings, but in any case I believe I understand Psalm 133:1 better when I see my three girls playing and laughing together.  
Well, before I get back to the pictures, a last note on the joy of prose and the extreme pleasure of experiencing the beginning fruition of 5 years of reading children's books to our eldest.  Ella is discovering that she can read, and wow, it's like tripping on ecstasy for me as a parent (not that I know about that firsthand, but from others descriptions...heehee).  I know I'm a nerd, but what fun to do sight words after storytime and before we turn off the light for lullaby time.  No, I'm serious, I really do dig on it.  Ok, that's it.  I could go on, but then there'd be no time for all these great pics I want to post!  Thanks for reading ya'll.    

No comments: